Sunday 13 October 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'd heard The 5th Wave was the next big thing. I'd heard it was all hype. Nothing makes me rush at a book faster than conflicting opinions. It's like waggling a hot dog at a Labrador Retriever. I've got to know what that hot dog tastes like! I will trample anyone who stands between me and that hot dog! I will afterward stop for a pee against the nearest school gate...! No, sorry, went too far.

The books starts slow. Slow in a good way. The most realistic books, the books that want to tether their horror to something real that readers can identify with, tend to do that. I enjoyed the flashbacks immensely. The build up was awesome, the one-liners chilling and I was genuinely terrified for the fate of a teddy bear.

Cassie, Zombie and Sams were great characters. Ringer, Dumbo and co also. The only character I didn't warm to was Evan. He was a little too Clark Kent for me, although it did help to picture Tom Welling. I could have done without the romance tropes, but that really is a personal thing. There's no place for 'chocolate eyes' in my world. To clarify, the romantic stuff was fine, it just doesn't poke my pumpkin.

The best thing about The 5th Wave was that it kept me guessing, kept me on edge, got me pointing a shaking banana at approaching 'interrupters' mid-read and shouting ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?!

Yep, good read.








View all my reviews

No comments: