Monday 9 December 2013

Book Review: Big Honey Dog: The Curse of the Scarab

Curse of the Scarab (Big Honey Dog Mysteries, #1)Curse of the Scarab by H.Y. Hanna

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If you’re feeling ruff, you’ve lost that certain wag, and your ears are a little droopy, Big Honey Dog Mysteries: The Curse of the Scarab is the book to cheer you up. As the saying goes, it’s not to be sniffed at. Seriously, don’t sniff it; read it. That’s generally how books work in the year 2013. If you’re reading this in the year 2113 and sniff technology is the hot new thing, well excuse me.

One fine day, Honey the Great Dane’s life is turned upside down by the disappearance of local puppies. It seems they are being puppynapped! Honey must solve the crime and find the missing puppies before it’s too late. But do not fret, for she has a pack of friends to help her. There’s Biscuit the Beagle with the bulging belly and best nose in town; Suka the Siberian Husky with her tall tails [sic] of mad scientist vets; little Tyson the Terrier with the big personality and sharp teeth; and lastly, Ruffster the cockney mutt. Together they must dig holes, scare cats, learn about Egyptian mythology and find the missing puppies.

The Curse of the Scarab is a charming story. It’s well written, humorous and touching. Lots of dog jokes and adventure. In my opinion, the book is most suitable for the younger end of the middle grade scale, but I reckon dog fans of any age would love it. I’m thirty seven, very much enjoyed it and fell floppy ears-over-tail in love with Honey (who is based on the author’s actual and very beautiful Great Dane). There are some sad parts to the story, and I will admit to a small wobble of the bottom lip and the immediate consumption of chocolate. The sad stuff is handled very well, though, and I’m very much looking forward to more stories in this series. In fact, I’m just off the read the Christmas story Message in a Bauble…

I was provided with a free copy of the book in return for an honest review. This did not change my opinion in any way.




View all my reviews

No comments: